Looking for Something?

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wednesday Word: Psalm 63

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your name I will lift up my hands.

Do you hear the angst in his voice? This psalm was written by King David, probably while he was fleeing from Absalom, his son; certainly at the time he wrote it he was king (see verse 11), and hard pressed by those who sought his life.

My question for us to consider is, why don't we write like this anymore? Why don't we feel this angst, this desire, this
overwhelming need for more and more of God.

Why do we not "earnestly seek", "thirst for", "faint for" as David and so many other biblical authors did?

Is it because we are too easily satisfied?
Maybe because we "feel good" too easily about our spiritual life.
Maybe because we have no real needs, we have everything at our fingertips, we have... an app for that.

This week can I challenge you to analyze yourself and find what it is that keeps you from expressing (really feeling and desiring) your love for Christ the way David longed for God.

This week, join me in feeling the angst.

My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food,
and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,
when I remember you upon my bed,
and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
for you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.
My soul clings to you;your right hand upholds me.


-----


Nathan Bryant

is a pastor living in Phoenix, AZ. As a student at Ozark Christian College in Joplin, Missouri he majored in Biblical Leadership, New Testament Studies, and Missiology. Nathan has a combined passion for unity and discipleship in the global church.

Christ's Kingdom is bigger than our causes.
Christ's Kingdom is bigger than our boundaries.

Follow him on Twitter:

Nathan's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment