Looking for Something?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Brian Ceely Introduction

Greetings to everyone who reads this blog, my name is Brian Ceely and I’m a friend of Nate Bryant, the founder of this blog. After much discussion and prayer, I will now be regular contributor to this blog. I felt that a nice introduction would be in order so that you all understand what you are getting into when you read my posts. I’m a fun loving and adventurous guy who enjoys playing music and drinking a great cup of coffee. I also enjoy discussions and debates over Theology and Philosophy and I regularly study apologetics. To a large degree many of my posts will deal with these topics, but I can assure they will not be stale, anesthetized, ivory-tower styled articles. My goal is to make Theology and apologetics very approachable and accessible to everyone; it is a deep passion of mine and my desire is for others to gain an appreciation for it.

Some of you may have read that word, “apologetics” and wondered what I mean. Apologetics comes from the Greek word, “apologia”, meaning account or defense. The simplest definition of Apologetics in the Christian sense is, “the defense of the Christian faith”. Peter uses this word in his letter, which he writes, “but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,” (1 Peter 3:15, ESV).

Apologetics and Evangelism go hand in hand. Evangelism is not a one sided conversation; you are usually engaged in a discussion with those around you about your faith. You have probably used apologetics and never realized it. Every time you explain what led you to faith or why you believe, you are making a defense or giving an account for you faith. Giving a defense is not always set like a courtroom or formal debate. It can be as simple as answering questions or challenges made to the faith.

As I stated before, my goal is not to bore you with long-winded arguments understood only by academics. My goal is to help you gain an understanding and an appreciation for what it means to defend your faith in an age of skepticism and reason. As I wrap up my short, first post, I want to leave you with the words of Paul from 2 Corinthians, “For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,” (2 Corinthians 10:4-5, ESV)

I look forward to writing many more posts and I hope to encourage you all in the faith. God Bless.

Blessings,
Brian Ceely


-------


Brian Ceely
*Bio Coming Soon*