Looking for Something?

Monday, March 2, 2015

Pursuing the Presence: Light a Fire

Have you ever built a fire from scratch?
If you have, you know how it goes. It's a pretty simple process. You forage through the woods for dry, dead wood. Once you collect all the wood you need, you stack it up in the fire pit and get ready for the fire. But with all the wood-stacking, all the pit digging, the fire will never start without a spark.

It's much the same with us. Our life in Christ can look a lot like building a fire. We gather the wood, we stack it up in the fire pit. But a fire will never start in our hearts without a spark from the Spirit of God.

You can stack all the kindling you want, but it's God who gives the fire. It's His presence, His Spirit, that lights our hearts with the flame of passion.

Most mornings when I wake up, I feel some kind of deadness. I often am spiritually dry, cold, unfeeling. But it's the most dead wood that burns the hottest.

When you come to the Word, as you approach your time of prayer, as you stack up that kindling around your heart, look to One who brings awakening to dead hearts.

Scripture
"Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence? 
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea, 
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast."
Psalm 139:7-10

Prayer

"Weak. Dry. Hungry. Afraid. Nervous. Overwhelmed. Anxious.

          I cast these fears on You, my God.
How I need You, O God, to breathe life into this dry spirit of mine!


Awaken me, O Spirit. Let me hunger for You today.

          Capture me, Sweet Jesus. Show me Your glory.

                    Draw me, Father. Keep me running after You.

Shine the light of Your face.
          May each glimpse of You draw forth new praise from my heart.
Draw me near. Keep me close.

You are:

Faithful. Merciful. Glorious. Eternal. Love. Hope. True. Good. Holy. Kind. Awesome. Steadfast. Wise. Infinite. Ever-present.

You are...here.

Light a fire in my heart. Let me burn for You.

Amen."







-----

Evan Smith

is a Pastor currently living in Phoenix, AZ. He majored in New Testament Studies at Ozark Christian College. Born and raised in Texas, he grew up the third-born of 7 kids and loved (almost) every minute of it! He is happily married to his high school sweetheart, Breanna, and has two wonderful kids, Hannah Joy and Peter. More than anything, Evan wants to be a man who is marked by a hunger for God.

The God who came, still comes. The God who spoke, still speaks.”

Evan's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment