Looking for Something?

Sunday, September 13, 2015

A Prayer for when You're on the Edge

John Piper has said 
"I feel like I have to get saved every morning. I wake up and the devil is sitting on my face."

For any of you objectors to this statement, let me cut you off at the pass here: Let's all be adults and recognize the use of hyperbole. Piper isn't saying that he is standing outside of Christ's salvation at the dawn of each day. He is recognizing his weakness, his vulnerability, his propensity to turn away from faith and focus on fear and temptation and pride.

Don't you feel that sometimes?

If truly I'm honest with myself, when I actually unplug from the constant distraction of technology and am alone with myself, I am forced to acknowledge the darkness within my own heart. I find myself....vulnerable.


It is precisely in this moment, when I find myself on the edge, that my Heavenly Father is beckoning me.






So don't stay there, alone with the darkness. But don't run away to the distractions either. Cry out. Cry out for help, for rescue, for more of God.

Because you are never truly alone with your darkness.

 "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed,
       a stronghold in times of trouble.
Those who know Your name will trust in You, 
       for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You."

-Psalm 9:9-10 (NIV)


Broken, Selfish, Worldly.
       I feel...alone.
Anxious, Desperate, Hungry.
       Parched, I thirst
 
   ...For grace to cover my weakness,
      ...For love to erase my transgressions,
         ...For Your presence to breathe life into these dry bones.
 
Create in me a clean heart,
A heart that hungers for You alone!
 
Spirit...have Your way.
Jesus...have Your reign.
Father...Your will be done. 
Kyrie Eleison. Lord have mercy.




-----

Evan Smith


wants to be a man who is marked by a hunger for God. Born and raised in Texas, he grew up the third-born of 7 kids and loved (almost) every minute of it! He majored in New Testament studies at Ozark Christian College, and also studied Ministry at Christ's Church of the Valley in Phoenix. He now makes his home in Dallas, is happily married to his high school sweetheart, Breanna, and has two wonderful kids, Hannah Joy and Peter. 


The God who came, still comes. The God who spoke, still speaks.”

Evan's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment