Looking for Something?

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Learning How to Worship: Psalm 51

Throughout this Fall we are writing reflections on the Psalms; I (Nathan) am required to do this for class, but invited the whole team to chime in on this series. Here we have a psalm many of us are probably VERY familiar with, we have heard it sung in church, we have heard sermons on the background story of this psalm, we have read it as our very own prayer of sorrow and plea for forgiveness before. And yet, every time I come to it, I personally get wrecked. Grace, something David could see but not fully grasp the implications of. Yes, that same grace that is fully offered and freely given to me... Should that not lead us to worship?

My hope is that though this penitential psalm of David, this heart breaking plea for forgiveness and for God to have mercy is hard to read and pray and feel... that we will see it as just another way to worship. I have stolen this line from one of my professors who I am truly indebted to for so much of my education and spiritual journey, but in the end, what we need most is a clear vision of Jesus.

Today, we continue "Learning How to Worship" with Psalm 51 written by our friend, Thomas Montgomery.

------



I can’t help but see the risen Christ all throughout this Psalm. I can’t help but see his mercy and grace weaving in and out of the words of the Psalmist. 



Have mercy on me, O God,
    because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
    blot out the stain of my sins.
Wash me clean from my guilt.
    Purify me from my sin.
For I recognize my rebellion;
    it haunts me day and night.
Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
    I have done what is evil in your sight.
You will be proved right in what you say,
    and your judgment against me is just.
For I was born a sinner—
    yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.
But you desire honesty from the womb,
    teaching me wisdom even there.
Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Oh, give me back my joy again;
    you have broken me—
    now let me rejoice.
Don’t keep looking at my sins.
    Remove the stain of my guilt.
Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    Renew a loyal spirit within me.
Do not banish me from your presence,
    and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
    and make me willing to obey you.
Then I will teach your ways to rebels,
    and they will return to you.
Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves;
    then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness.
Unseal my lips, O Lord,
    that my mouth may praise you.
You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
    You do not want a burnt offering.
The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
    You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
Look with favor on Zion and help her;
    rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with sacrifices offered in the right spirit—
    with burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings.
    Then bulls will again be sacrificed on your altar.
-Psalm 51 NLT


I know David didn’t intend for this Psalm to be one that a guy who grew up at the foot of the Colorado Rocky Mountains would see Christ in. I know what his original intention was with this Psalm. I know the story behind the Psalm. Do you remember it?

The story of David seeing a woman who he wanted. So, being king, he had her brought to him. They had sex. She got pregnant. David did everything he could to cover it up…even to the point of killing the husband of the woman he had slept with. Nathan the prophet comes to David and reveals his sin to him through a parable. Long story short…we now have these words.

And, although David never knew the risen Christ, I see Jesus all over this Psalm.

I see Jesus in the words:


Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
blot out my transgression.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin!


Have mercy on me, O God. How my heart knows these words. A heart who knows the story of sin. A heart that has been beat up by the world. A hear that knows the pain of rebellion and a desire to return to the Shepherd of his soul. A heart that longs to be “purged with hyssop, and I shall be clean.”


Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones that you have broken rejoice.


I see the risen Christ…and his body on a cross…throughout this entire Psalm. I see the Christ who went to the cross, so the Father would hide his face from my sins, and blot out all of my iniquities. The One who gave everything to restore broken people to wholeness and life. I see the risen Christ throughout his entire Psalm.


Create I me a clean heart, O Go,
and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.


And I see the risen Christ…high and exalted…throughout this entire Psalm. I see the One who conquered over sin and death. I see the one who has brought victory. Throughout this Psalm…I simply see the risen Christ.




-------

Thomas Montgomery  


resides in Joplin, Missouri where he studies Psychology and Counseling at Ozark Christian College. He enjoys watching football and NASCAR (Go Dale Jr!). His hobbies include hiking, cooking, reading, and talking to people about the person of Jesus Christ. He loves people, evidenced by his service to the Church and those who do not yet know Christ. Thomas, who was an EMT for some time, wants to counsel firefighters and paramedics in the future.

Follow him on Twitter:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment