Looking for Something?

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Worship

He made the night, He made the day, Spread the earth upon the water, Made the heavens and the rain. Look at the sky, see its design, the sun set and all it's brilliant colors, the numerous flyspecks of light that shine in the vast blackness. That very same creator is the one who gave us life. All of creation is shouting, praising, all of creation, except the ones who are made in His image.
I want to know Him, praise Him the same way as those stars, the same way as the ocean's roar. In Him there's hope, in Him there's life.
The world cries for a savior that's right before their eyes, creation makes one move and it is awe inspiring if we just take the time to listen.

What is man that He takes us in as His children to be His own
And what are we that He wants to be our Father?
What is man that He's mindful of us?
We're merely clay in his hands, even clay worships Him better than us sometimes.
What am I that He loves me so much He would die, even more What am I that He loves me so much that He would live in, through and around me. Truly it is not about us at all.

And what I have come to believe is that us making it about ourselves is the crux of why our faith remains stagnant.
Just as every human has a brain, a soul, a conscience... we are all wired to worship.
Inside us all there is a void, all mankind is searching for something or someone to fill the soul, we fill it with pleasure, with books, with TV, with music, even the best of us do this.
I used to look for whatever it is that would satisfy my immediate craving for whatever it was ( in fact I still struggle with this).

When I feel distant from God I pray, I read books, I listen to Christian music, I listen to a sermon or watch one.

We can feel as if we need a bridge to get back to God. But even in the midst of me searching the Bible for a verse to help me out it sometimes just doesn't help, doesn't fix the way I am feeling... and that's just it, a feeling.

I am worshiping myself, my feelings.

Or I would worship music, or my favorite book, speaker, whatever.
I would worship creation rather than the created, and it's not that I was falling on my knees and bowing down to it, it was the fact that I wasn't filling my thoughts, my heart, with the splendor of God. Instead of saying, "God, why are you making me feel this way? Why are you putting me through this?" I begin saying,

God, Thank you for giving me feelings, for allowing me to grow, I know you will get me out of this situation. I know YOU are sovereign over even the little things. This world doesn't need me, you don't need me. But you choose to keep me, and I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I am more beautiful than those stars, I am more powerful than those volcanoes, I am stronger than the hurricanes, I am made in YOUR image, you. You surround me. Nothing is about me. If I don't like my circumstance, I'll worship you. When I am tempted to sin, I'll stop worshiping the created and turn and worship you. Surely my worship is more glorious than the comets, and planets that shout your majesty.

When I don't like the song, or the style of the music in church, it doesn't matter, it's not about me, it never was. I will sing and fall in love with you through anything.
The attitude doesn't come overnight, and surely I haven't gotten this, no one has nailed it, no one has kept this attitude, no one will ever be able to keep this attitude toward life, only Jesus has, only Jesus will. But that's the glory of it, when this perspective I lose, He gives His life in return. When this life I lose, He already gave His in return.
We must worship in spirit and in truth.

What do we worship instead of God?
God gives us, shows us, His splendor throughout creation, to point us back to Him.
Are we seeking Him or ourselves?