Looking for Something?

Monday, June 27, 2016

Walking Humbly

This afternoon I was reading one of my favorite books, it has been a while since I opened it and just read. It's a spiritual classic called "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas A'Kempis. Within the opening two paragraphs he wrote something profound, something that I have glossed over too many times to count.

I paraphrase it and contemporize it this way:

"What good could possibly come out of us, to enter into deep discussion concerning God, if we lack humility? For it matters not how accurate our discussion, if we in our very attitudes are displeasing to Him. More than that, it's never deep words that make us holy, for words are cheap. Rather, a heart softened to the Gospel that pleases God."

And then... Out of nowhere an old song from Sonicflood started playing on my iPad, one I haven't heard in years.. The chorus is a prayer that seemed to fit perfectly with what I had just read...

So, take my heart and form it
Take my mind and transform it
Take my will and conform it
To yours, to yours, oh Lord
To yours, to yours, oh Lord

Read more:  Sonicflood - Holiness Lyrics | MetroLyrics 

This is a thought that I just couldn't let go. How many times have I started talking so assuredly about God, how many times have I thought deep thoughts about God... But never trembled before Him, never gave a second thought to His awesome Being. Who am I to utter a word? Who am I to speak so surely of the God who was, who is,can't who is to come? Who am I to suggest I know anything about the Unknowable? 

Not to suggest that we can never know God more... For He has revealed Himself partially in His written word, and revealed Himself fully in The Word Incarnate, that is in the person and work of King Jesus... But let us speak as one who is humble and lowly in heart, mind, and soul. 

Maybe I'm alone here. Maybe it is my own pride that so easily sleeps it's way back into my heart... But maybe, just maybe some of you experienced this before. 

May we all seek to do justly, and to love mercy, and to WALK HUMBLY with our God.





-----

 
Nathan Bryant


is a pastor at River Run Church in East Orlando, FL. As a student at Ozark Christian College in Joplin, Missouri he majored in Biblical Leadership, New Testament Studies, and Missiology.  In 2014 he attended the Leadership Institute in Phoenix, AZ where he continued his education from other pastors and educators at one of the fastest growing churches in the United States. He loves the outdoors, whether it is camping in the mountains or jumping through the waves at the beach, nothing is better than enjoying God’s creation. Nathan longs for unity and commitment to Jesus to be a defining element in the global church of his generation.

Christ's Kingdom is bigger than our causes.
Christ's Kingdom is bigger than our boundaries.

Follow him on Twitter:

Nathan's Website


 

No comments:

Post a Comment