Looking for Something?

Monday, April 6, 2015

The Day After

Today is the day after Easter. The dress clothes are hung up. The decorations in the church are coming down. The empty tomb is all but forgotten until next year. Yesterday, if we are not careful it can feel as if we celebrated the end of the story.

Growing up, I had a problem. Actually, I still have this problem…although, I fail to see how it is a problem. When I read a book or watch a movie I go to the ending first. I want to know how the story ends. Now, some would argue that this approach to a story is ridiculous and unnecessary. I mean, how could any sane person do this? Wouldn’t that ruin the rest of the story?

Slow down for a moment, before you call me crazy. 

I read the end of the story, because I want some kind of hope for how the narrative will turn out. Once I know the ending, I turn to the beginning. As I make my way through the plot, I am still gripped by the climax. I am still overwhelmed with the hero’s journey throughout the storyline. There is never a moment where I am not sitting on the edge of my seat with bated breath wondering the fate of the characters.

Then, the hero of the story makes it through the great climax – and I remember the end of the story. I am reminded of hope.

Throughout the grand Story of Scripture, there are moments when I wonder, “Could this have been the end of the story?” Could God have chosen to stop everything in that moment and be done with the Story? Think about it:


Creation – everything was perfect. Why not end the story here?
The Fall – sin entered into the picture. Surely God could have ended the story here.
The flood?
Abraham?
God leading his people out of Egypt?
The number of times God’s people chose to rebel against him?
What about the 400 silent years? God’s people may have wondered if that was truly the end of the story.

Or, what about the birth of Christ. God with us. Undoubtedly, this could have been the end of the story. God incarnate. How much better could life get?

The life of Christ? The cross? The resurrection? The ascension?

Pentecost?

It seems as if every point where an ending could have happened, God chose to keep the Story in motion. He continually pointed to the end of the Story. The end, where Christ comes for his bride, the Church. The end of the Story that gives believers hope. The end of the Story that, honestly, isn’t even the end. Instead, it is the beginning of the greatest Story ever told.

A Story that finds its climax in Jesus Christ. The incarnate, crucified, and risen Christ. The Christ who is now seated at the right hand of the Father in heaven. The Christ who laid down his life so that sin would be paid for. The Christ who is at the center of the Story changes the end of the Story – the end is no longer the end, but the beginning to the greatest Story ever told. And if that isn’t good news, I don’t know what is.



-------

Thomas Montgomery  


resides in Joplin, Missouri where he studies Psychology and Counseling at Ozark Christian College. Thomas is a pastor at Nashville Christian Church. He enjoys watching football and NASCAR (Go Dale Jr!). His hobbies include hiking, cooking, reading, and talking to people about the person of Jesus Christ. He loves people, evidenced by his service to the Church and those who do not yet know Christ. Thomas, who was an EMT for some time, wants to counsel firefighters and paramedics in the future.

Follow him on Twitter:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment