Looking for Something?

Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Fog

Fog blinds; it limits our perception, but it also has the potential to eliminate our ability to perceive. The circle of reality created by fog limits the physical distance which our eyes can see. Our perception is reduced to a mere circle of clarity which fades into a dark, shadowy wall of nothing. In this way, fog limits our perception. We can quite easily see those things which are near to us, but as the distance between us and our chosen object grows, our ability to see it lessens; lessens to the point of impossibility.

There is no sane reason to seek the other side of this shadowy wall. Only the fool continues to chase this ever fleeting barrier. For as we move, so too does the circle of clarity which surrounds us. One cannot reach the barrier and so extend their ability to perceive. And what is more, the pursuit of that dark wall is doubly damaging.

First it disappoints with its impossible tease of possibility. We think, “If I can just reach the edge, then I will know what lies beyond.” But we can never reach the edge.

And second it blinds. The pursuit of extending our perception by chasing after the wall blinds us from seeing where we currently are. Who can stop and smell the roses while chasing the sunset?

It may be obvious at this point that I am not only describing fog as it is found in creation. I am also attempting to describe that fog which lives in our minds; the fog which comes with our attempts to see our futures. As there exists a circle of clarity in creation so too there exists a circle of clarity in relation to our foresight. Often times we know the next chapter of our lives or at the very least the next step we should take to move forward, but rarely do we definitively know the next few chapters. And who can know the precise steps their life will take from the present to infinity?
I want to ask you a question.
Are you chasing the wall?
Are you trying to figure out your whole life, and so pierce the wall to find the promise land of perception beyond? The land which has no secrets because all has been revealed?
If I am honest, I would tell you that I have recently been chasing that wall. I have run myself ragged in my pursuit of total understanding.  I have so sought my future through strenuous planning and strategic study of self that I have blinded myself. I have fixed my eyes so far on the future that I have become unable to see the present.
Now, please do not read my words and so think that I am condemning planning or the desire to set goals for the future. I do not wish to do such. Rather, I wish to challenge you to ask yourself the question presented above:  Are you chasing the wall? 

I want you to be honest. Are you concerned with what your future holds or are you content with what the present... presents?
I will not lie; it can be a challenge to become content with the present. For being content comes from trust; trust that the future does not hold anything that you cannot handle or trust that someone will carry you through the moments which are greater than yourself. So yes, there is fear, but let me assure you, the Father, our Father, is greater than the fear, he is greater than the fog, and he will guide us, because he loves us.
One final question.
Do you trust him?
Do you trust him enough to stop chasing the wall?
Do you trust him enough to become content with where he has placed you?



Do you trust him?

------

Michael Judd

is a theology student majoring in Psychology and Counseling Ozark Christian College. He enjoys writing, reading, and listening to Gregorian monk chants; as well as connecting people to the local church and seeing people grow a lifelong commitment to Christ and the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment