Looking for Something?

Monday, October 31, 2011

A Constant Battle

I've been wanting to write a post on lust for the longest time.
For the longest time.

But lust is just one of those topics... that we aren't supposed to discuss.

We hate talking about it because we all struggle with it.
Especially in America.
Especially males.

But I haven't talked about it.

I haven't posted anything.
Because I'm scared.

I've had to ask myself:
Do I have the credit to tackle this subject?
No.

Do I have the respect to stand firm and for the most part tell every guy in America, and in the world for that matter, to get their thoughts in order?
No.

Because I struggle with the same problem.

Who am I?

I should let others tackle it instead... but there are some things that I think I can say. I need to say. It is wearing on my heart.

Because I hate lust.
But I love God's church.

And I am sickened when what I hate infiltrates what I love. I know I can't fix it... but perhaps by posting this it will ease some of my own hurt.

Guys, we know what's up. We know that what we think is wrong, we know that what we do sometimes is wrong.

It's sin.
It's evil.
It's degrading.
And it needs to stop.

Because women are so much better than what we form them to be in our own twisted minds.

Women deserve more respect than ever before.

And we instead degrade them.

87% of conversations with women on MTV is negative.
This isn't just a christian issue... It is a culture issue
.

---

When I was in high school some of my friends that I ate lunch with would start playing a game they called 'Hot or not'...after they got done eating of course.

I was never comfortable with the game, in fact many times I got up and left. I spent the remainder of our lunch period with some other friends. Other times I sat through it, til they were done or the bell rang.

God shed his grace on me in those moments for giving me the clarity to see how unhealthy and wrong participating would be. I know that it was God in those moments.

Every girl that would pass by would quietly get looked over and they would decide if they were hot... or not.

It disgusted me.

A guy, me, who in High School struggled with lust almost non-stop, felt disgusted about classifying and degrading God's beautiful creation. I didn't see the oxymoron in that. I got it, but didn't at the same time.

I won't rag on my friends only.
Because they aren't the exception, that was the norm for many of the guys.

Boys, stop calling 'hot' or 'sexy' what you don't even know is.

Your future wife is what defines hot for you.
Your future wife is what defines sexy for you.
And every time you classify someone else that... you degrade your spouse that you have probably never even met yet.

We put name tags on people we don't even know.

And it needs to end. Whether you think it is damaging or not. Learn the difference between attractive and hot, beautiful and sexy.

I will post in the future on this struggle for guys, because there's a lot of things to be said.
There are books and books and books and books and books and books and books on this subject... but I want to give my testimony and the testimony of others of how we can defeat lust in our lives. It will always be a struggle, never a complete end to it. But most guys refuse to even fight.

Christ calls us to a higher level.

Boys, Christ calls us to be men. And it's learning self control, putting on Christ, taking off what hinders us and removing ourselves from the temptations that can win the battles. Because we know that in Christ, the war is already won.

But although I had a lot to say to guys, this post was written for the women reading.

Like I said, I hesitate because I'm a nobody. I have no right to call any woman out on anything. So I will stop right here and turn it over to someone who has earned my absolute and undoubted respect, and the respect of many Godly women in my own life, for whom I am eternally grateful for their input.

He has a message for you:




Why would I post this kind of a post on Halloween?

I love the concept of Halloween. Free candy, and a chance to enjoy the childhood memories we had, and the ones we can witness being made through others. Despite it's pagan roots, I think the church has done a great job in redeeming the holiday for fun and fellowship.

So...

Why would I choose to 'tackle' one of the devil's best tactics on what is said to be his holiday?

Because costumes are getting racier and racier, and I dread this time of year.

It saddens me that during church festivals and alternate Halloween events, they actually have to ask people to dress modestly.

Even worse, I have to carefully monitor my Facebook account the week prior and the week after Halloween every year so as to not fall into a trap of lust. Christian women who I can truly view as my sisters tend to take this time of the year and pose in what they call 'costumes'.

It's not fair.

It's not right.

And though boys need to grab some self control and begin to act like the men God called them to be... it is so hard when we can't rely on support from the people we need the support from the most.

Please, consider what you wear.
Guys, consider where you stare.

Let's begin to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment