Looking for Something?

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

For Such a Time as This

The story of Esther.

Has been captivating me.

More specifically the words of Mordecai in Esther 4:14 ...

"And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" (ESV)


...have been speaking very loud to me these past few days.

For such a time as this.
For such a time as this.

In a world where sin runs so rampant, where Godlessness is the norm, and where materialism is praised and pressed into the minds and hearts of not only my generation but especially the generation that is just coming of age...All I can think about is the question, "God why have you put me here?"
And I'm not asking why God has chosen to put me on Earth, I'm asking, 'Why now? Why this time? This place?' Why did you bless me with parents and a good education, why did you bless me with citizenship in such a free country?

Me, why me?

Not that I'm not grateful... I am. But what will you have me do with this time, this place, this area in my life? Why was I chosen to be a part of God's kingdom for such a time as this?

These are all questions that we need to wrestle with at one point or another in our ministry.

Yes, I said ministry.
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. " -Romans 12:1-2
We've heard these verses numerous times.

NUMEROUS times, and it's because these verses are packed with so much meaning, so much power, so much truth about our role, our job, our identity, our abilities, our future, and our desires in this life and the life to come... both little parts of God's Kingdom.

Because the Kingdom of Heaven is what it's really about.

But we are never told to look up, stare at the sky and wait til then to start making a difference.

Jesus said, 'GO!'

Go where?

Go into all the world.

Ministry. Our lives are not about us.

"in view of God’s mercy... offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship."
Because the moment our lives start reflecting us, we are no longer reflecting Christ.

The moment we decide that this life is actually our life and that it's time for us to get what we want... we've lost the Great Commission.

We need to represent the gospel everywhere we go, in everything we do.

Because we don't know... when our moment will come.
We don't know if God has something big.
Something special.
Just around the corner.
Perhaps Christ has you in a position 'for such a time as this'.

Perhaps you are in a job that you despise, but your co-workers do not know Christ.
Perhaps you are at a school where you are the only Christian on campus... or at least it feels that way.
Perhaps you work with Christians, you have a wonderful environment constantly surrounding you, but there's a guy who walks in looking down and gloom.
Perhaps you are at a Christian college and the work load from the professors seem to be just too much.


"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." -Romans 8:28

'Called according to His purpose.'

So many times we forget about the second part of that verse. God does the calling, we do the answering.
Keep answering.
Keep pressing on.
Don't live a fake life.
Don't live a life for yourself.

We are all ministers of the Gospel of Christ if we bear His name.

We need to live like it... offering our lives as living sacrifices, not conforming to this world, but renewing our mind... literally changing our mind about how we view God. I pray that this blog helps us grow in doing that... I know it does for me just posting about the different topics God has laid on my heart.

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. -Psalm 19:14 ESV

But along with this idea I have an announcement to make. This past week was my first week at Ozark Christian College. I'm planning on majoring in Theology with an emphasis in preaching. Obviously I no longer have the time to devote to this blog for consistent updates, in fact this past month I've been rather inconsistent much of the time.

So I've asked my good friend Kirk Curtis, who has guest posted multiple times to join me as a regular blogger.

I'll still be posting whenever I can... as much as I can. But I welcome a new voice with me in this.

Our styles are different, our ideas may be different, but I truly believe God has a ton of things to say through Kirk. He's been a great friend to me and has a passion for God's word that surpasses even my own.

So welcome aboard Kirk, for such a time as this.

My prayer has been closely associated with the premise behind Esther these past few days.

God's plan will always prevail, His will makes a way, and He plans our course. I'm in the position I'm in for such a time as this.
"The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps." -Proverbs 16:9
I should devote every effort of my life to preparing, to establishing, and prayerfully discerning what God would have me know.

His will.


"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."


How do we know God's will?

By renewing our mind.
Making a commitment to His Word.
Submitting to the authority of God's Word.
Storing His Word in our hearts...


I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. -Psalm 119:11 ESV


Because when we are committing, submitting, and storing God's Word up in our lives... we're really committing to Jesus, submitting to Jesus, storing up more of Jesus.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." -John 1:1


Shouldn't that be our goal as Christians?

Submission is an attitude of Reverence, if we submit to the Word of God, we must also Revere it, if we Revere it, we should Love it, if we Love it, we should Memorize it.

Renew your mind with scripture. Practice it. Memorize it. Know it. Because in essence you are getting to know Jesus by doing so, and the more we get to know Jesus, the more we become like Him, the more the Spirit works in our lives in ways we never could foresee.

And to be perfectly honest... This post has been directed right at me. My professors are giving me memory work in loads... so I'm going to wrap this post up so I can get back to studying.


As we ponder with everything, as we go about our daily lives, our struggles and our times of joy. Remember, think, discover... Is there something in your life right now that God is calling you to do?

Perhaps he has placed you in those situations, 'for such a time as this'. Esther responded and saved her entire nation. That's what her response called for.

How will you respond? 

And...

What will it entail?