Looking for Something?

Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Prayer Adapted From the Fruit of the Spirit

Lately I have been obsessed with Liturgy. There is something amazing about praying prayers that have been handed down over generations. There is also great power and awe in knowing that I am praying a prayer that was prayed by the Saints of old.

In my small group, we were asked to write a prayer based on a passage (or multiple passages) of Scripture. Below is the Liturgical type I have written. My hope and prayer is that this may bless you in your time of stillness with Christ.

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”
-Galatians 5:22-23

Once again, Lord Jesus Christ, I face the powers this world, trying to draw me away from you.



Against the torrent of oblivion, I plead the blood of Jesus.

Lord, help me to “love You with all of my heart, and with all of my soul and with all of my mind.”

Help me to “love my neighbor as myself,” because “by this all people will know that I am your disciple.”

Help my “love be genuine. To abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.”

Help me to “speak the truth in love,” that I may grow in greater unity with You and Your Bride, the Church.

Lord, help me to live my life as a peacemaker, never seeking or searching for evil.

Help me to “pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.”

“Help me to not be anxious about anything, but instead let Your peace, which surpasses all understanding, guard my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus.”

You have called me to peace, help me to live at peace with all people.

Lord, help me to “not be sluggish, but instead to be an imitator of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.”

Remind me that fruit takes time to grow...that I must have patience while I wait for You to form me into the image of Your Son, Jesus Christ.

Lord, help me to “put on a compassionate heart, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience.”

Help me to “be kind to others, tenderhearted, forgiving others, as You in Christ have forgiven me.”

Lord, I believe. Help me overcome my unbelief.

Lord, help me to be gentle with all people.

Help me to “put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save my soul.

Lord, help me to puruse self-control at all times.

Help me have control over the foods I eat.

Help me to have control over the desires of the flesh.

Help me to have control over the thoughts of my mind.

Help me to have control over the anger that stirs within.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

---



Thomas Montgomery
 

resides in Joplin, Missouri where he studies New Testament Theology at Ozark Christian College. His hobbies include hiking, cooking, reading, eating Chick-Fil-A, growing his beard, and talking to people about the person of Jesus Christ. He loves people, evidenced by his service to the church and those who do not yet know Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Black Magic Treatment and Spiritual Healing:

    We provide 24/7 Spiritual Healing Services to Protect you from the Evil’s of Magic (Any type of magic), Supernatural & Paranormal Activity House Cleansing, Demonic Possession, Exorcisms, Holistic Distance Healing, Energy Healing, Meditation Healing, etc.

    Tell: +92-313-5303096 (whatsapp, viber)
    Email: ahmedabdullah@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete